Rich Horwath is a national thought-leader on strategy. The founder and president of the Strategic Thinking Institute, former chief strategy officer, and professor of strategy at the Lake Forest Graduate School of Management, he has frequently appeared on NBC, WGN, and FOX TV to discuss the strategic aspect of current issues. Horwath is the author of four books and more than 75 articles on strategic thinking; his work has been profiled in business media around the world, including Investor’s Business Daily and Forbes.com.
An engaging and thought-provoking keynote speaker, Horwath has been ranked the #1 speaker out of 162 on strategy by the Society for Healthcare Strategy, and his book, Deep Dive: The Proven Method for Building Strategy has been described by the Director of Worldwide Operations for McDonalds as “…the most valuable book ever written on strategic thinking.”
Be Strategic or Be Gone: Strategic Thinking for Competitive Advantage
Recent studies on leadership by the Wall Street Journal and Chief Executive Magazine have found that the #1 ranked, most valued skill in leaders today is strategic thinking. But only 3 out of every 10 managers are strategic. In this interactive and highly relevant session, Rich Horwath helps employees at all levels understand what strategy is and how to think strategically on a daily basis to help their businesses. The result is that participants leave with a strategic thinking framework and practical tools to reach their true strategic potential.
- What is strategic thinking?
- Why is strategic thinking important?
- The three disciplines of strategic thinking:
- Acumen: how to generate new ideas
- Allocation: how to prioritize activities
- Action: how to stay focused on the important, not urgent
- Effective ways for generating new ideas that grow profits
- How to use resources (time, people and budget) more productively
Deep Dive: Becoming a Truly Strategic Leader
The #1 cause of bankruptcy is bad strategy. Management teams that don’t have solid, written strategies today, may not have a business tomorrow. In this interactive and practical session, Rich Horwath takes the mystery out of strategy, simplifies it and gives participants a five-step process for developing it. The result is participants leave with a common understanding of strategy, new tools for developing it and a process for actually using it to drive their daily activities.
- What is strategy?
- Why is strategy important?
- The three secrets to great strategy
- Understanding the difference between goals, objectives, strategies and tactics.
- How to transform a business from a commodity into competitive advantage.
- Practical tools to develop strategies that increase profits and productivity.