As the former owner of three different businesses (including the largest group of Hertz Rent-a-Car locations in the U.S.), Mel Kleiman’s expertise is based on these early business experiences and upon the past 20+ years of work helping businesses implement successful employee recruiting, hiring, and retention programs for frontline hourly employees and the people who manage them.
He has earned the prestigious Certified Speaking Professional designation and his clients include many professional and trade associations as well as nationwide restaurant, retail, and franchise concerns. Mel has delivered over 500 presentations to these groups and all were custom-designed to meet each organization’s specific needs. Because Kleiman delivers take home, best practice information that can be put to use immediately and is highly effective at teaching new managers as well as seasoned executives, many of his clients have him return year after year.
Hire Tough, Manage Easy
If your organization is going to succeed in today’s hyper-competitive, economically uncertain, turbulent marketplace, there is one critical task that you and your managers must get right – how you attract, hire and retain great employees. Let’s face it, making the wrong hiring decision begins a cycle of frustration that results in poor customer service, demoralizes good employees, costs lots of money, and makes everybody miserable. Worse, every wrong hiring decision has the potential to irreparably damage both your brand and your organization’s reputation.
In this fast-paced, engaging session, participants take home a wide range of ideas and techniques that will make their jobs easier and remove the guesswork from hiring and retaining great people. These include:
- The five key questions to ask before you hire anyone
- The #1 most overlooked source of great, proven employees
- How to attract the right applicants
- How to make your employee referral program really work
- How to make sure you hire great – not just good – employees
- How to take control of the interview and uncover the truth
- Why hiring “good” employees is no longer good enough
- How to use tools, not time, to make better decisions
- (and lots of these tools are free)
- How to probe more deeply to reveal the real person
- The #1 way to reduce turnover by 20%–without spending any money
- What every employee wants out of a job – no matter their generation
- The #1 employee motivator – and it’s practically free!
- How to retain the winners and avoid the whiners
Employee Retention: It Isn’t About the Money
The old saying “You get what you pay for” holds true when it comes to your employees too, but many employers miss a big opportunity because they think only in terms of dollars when, in their employees’ minds, “compensation” is about much more than money.
HR surveys repeatedly show that people who love their jobs would not leave for a 10 percent pay hike. Only about four percent would consider an offer of 15 percent or more, and the other 96% wouldn’t consider it at all unless the offer was at least 20-25 percent more.
So, if it isn’t about the money, what is it your people want from you? What are the intangibles that keep great people on-board and motivated?
In this practical, takeaway session, Mel Kleiman, CSP, will cover:
- The four most important things employees of every generation tell us they want from their jobs
- The Number One motivator that every manager has 100% control over (and it doesn’t have to cost a dime)
- The six R’s and one C of Retention
- The key ways to find out what each employee’s drivers are
- The Number One mistake managers make that causes great employees to leave
30+ Tools, Tips & Techniques for Hiring Top Talent
American productivity has skyrocketed over the past several years and fewer American workers now produce more goods of higher quality at a lower price than ever before. Doing more and more with less and less, however, means employers cannot afford to hire anyone but the best.
- How well does your organization perform in the race to hire top talent?
- Are your hiring managers using every tool, tip and technique available to identify, recruit, hire and retain the best?
- Do you know how to turn your present employees into your best recruiters?
- Can you quickly separate the winners from the whiners when you interview?
- Do you know how to use hiring tools instead of the hiring manager’s time to hire the best?
- Do you know which questions will get you the most honest, complete answers?
This fast-paced, interactive, 60-to-90 minute session answers all of these questions and gives participants all the latest best practice tools, tips, and techniques they need to hire and retain the best.
The Five Firsts: A Simple System to Retain Top Talent
Achievement-Based Interviewing/Evidence-Based Selection
Beyond Behavioral Interviewing: The Next Evolution
How to Hire a Frontline that Won’t Flatline
Why Smart Managers Hire the Wrong People
Recruit Smarter, Not Harder
How to Create a Magnetic Culture
Certified Speaking Professional Mel Kleiman is an internationally recognized authority on how to recruit, select, engage, and retain front-line hourly employees and the people who manage them. His expertise is based on his practical experience as the former owner of three different businesses as well as more than 30 years of research and consulting field work. Mel is best known for high energy, interactive presentations that deliver pragmatic, memorable, take home ideas and advice that can be used by anyone to improve every aspect of employee hiring and retention.
A renowned consultant, speaker, author, and trainer for over 25 years, Mel is also the founder and president of Humetrics, a leading developer of systems, training processes, and tools for recruiting, selecting, and retaining an exceptional workforce. A demonstrated leader in HR thought, Mel has authored numerous research studies and white papers. His articles have appeared in dozens of trade and professional journals and he is a regular contributor to Restaurant Hospitality and Convenience Store Decisions among other trade and professional journals.
As featured on CNN Headline News and has has written several best-selling books including:
267 Hire Tough Interview Questions
180 Ways to Build a Magnetic Culture
Recruit Smarter, Not Harder
So, You Got the Job…..Now What?
He is a regular contributor to Convenience Store Decisions, MultiUnit Franchise, Restaurant Hospitality, Coke Solutions and National Shoe Retailer magazines.
Mel is the founder and president of Humetrics, a leading provider of best practice information, training, and resources for those responsible for recruiting, hiring, and retaining employees. He has been a member of the National Speakers Association since 1992 and was awarded the coveted Certified Speaking Professional designation in 1999. He also serves as a board member for the National Restaurant Association Educational Foundation and for the Workforce Institute as well as being a long-standing member of the Society for Human Resource Management.